Pages are a powerful and flexible feature of the Stratus Platform, giving users the ability to create and share their information with other users on the platform. You can insert a variety of content into many different layouts with lots of display options. This walk-through serves to give you more information regarding Page creation.
To get to your Pages Home, log in to your platform and click the Pages tab in the main navigation. This brings you to your Pages screen. From here you can view all the pages you own, view pages that are shared with you, share pages with others, create new pages, and copy pages.
Creating a new Page
To create a new page, go to your Pages Home and click the Create Page button. This will generate your page and bring you to the Page Editing screen. From here, you have a multitude of options. The top level tab system contains all of your page creation options.
Edit Content Tab
This tab is the main content editing screen, where you select blocks from sub-tab categories and drag them into your page area. The options can vary depending on what context you are creating in, but the following tabs/blocks are available for personal pages:
- Your Entire Bio - A quick way to show your whole Bio
- One Bio Field - Display any Bio Information
- Blog - Display an entire blog
- Blog Entry - Display one blog entry
- Recent Blog Entries - Display the most recent entries
- External content
- External Feed - Embed an external RSS or ATOM feed
- External Video - Embed external videos
- Google Apps - Embed Google calendar or docs
- Files, images, and video
- File(s) for Download - Select files for people to download
- A Folder - A single folder from your Files area
- Image Gallery - A collection of images from your Files area
- Some HTML - A single html file from your Files area
- An Image - A single image from your Files area
- Embedded Media - Select files for embedded viewing
- Creative Commons License - Attach a Creative Commons license to your page
- My Courses - Display all the courses you are currently enrolled in
- Navigation - Display a collection of pages as a simple navigation
- Your Plans - Display your plans list
- Recent Forum Posts - Display recent forum posts for a group
- Text Box - Add notes to your page
- Contact Information - Choose contact information to display
- Profile Information - Choose profile information to display
Edit Title and Description Tab
This tab allows you to edit the Page Title, Page Description, Tags, and your Name display format. The Page Title and Description will be displayed above your page. You can add tags, which are labels or keywords that you can use to classify and search for pages. Clicking on the Show my tags link will generate a list of the tags you have previously used and the number of items they have been applied to. Clicking on a tag in this list will add it to the tags for this page, or remove it if you have already tagged the page with this tag. Your options for Name display format are to show your First Name, your Last Name, your Full Name, or your Display Name.
Edit Layout Tab
You have layout options to create one through five columns with various widths for your new page.
Display Page Tab
This tab will give you a preview of your created page.
Share Page Tab
This tab allows you to Edit Access to your pages. By default, only you can see your Pages. You can share pages with others by adding access rules. These rules include sharing with:
Advanced options include:
- Logged In Users
- All your Groups
- Share with other users or groups you search for
- Allow comments - If checked, users will be allowed to leave comments.
- Moderate comments - Comments will remain private until they are approved by you.
- Allow copying - Check this box if you would like the people who can see your page to be able to make their own copies of it, along with any files or folders it contains.
- Overriding Start/Stop Dates - You can set an overriding start and/or stop date. Other people will not be able to see your page before the start date and after the end date, regardless of any other access you have granted.
Clicking the Shared Pages button shows you the Shared Pages home. This page lists the most recently modified or commented on pages that have been shared with you. They may have been shared with you directly, shared with friends of the owner, or shared with one of your groups. You can search through pages by Title, description, tags or Tags only.
In addition to setting sharing settings when editing your page, you can click the Share Page button to bring up the pages you can share with others. Clicking the icon under the Edit Access column will bring up the Share page tab, which can also be accessed when editing your page. If you don't want everyone to be able to see your page, but you would like to show it to a few people who are not registered on this site, then you can set a Secret URL for your page. This makes your page visible to the public through a special link which is difficult to guess. You can let your friends know about your page by pasting the link into an email.
Copy a Page
Clicking the Copy a page button shows you the Copy a Page home. Here you can search through the pages that you are allowed to copy as a starting point for making a new page. You can see a preview of each page by clicking on its name. Once you have found the page you wish to copy, click the corresponding "Copy Page" button to make a copy and begin customizing it. You can search through pages and owners.
When your user account is created, two default pages (Dashboard and Profile) are created for you. These are special pages which can be edited, but cannot be deleted.
- Dashboard Page - This page is what you see on the homepage when you first log in. Only you have access to this page, it cannot be seen or shared with anyone. You can edit this page to cater your dashboard page with information that you want. The Dashboard Page content might have been set upon initial creation by the Platform Administrator, however you can edit from this default whenever you want.
- Profile Page - Your profile page is what others see when they click on your name or profile picture. This page is only available to Logged In Users. You can add, remove, or edit any content on this page.